Friday, February 20, 2015

"Remember why you are a photographer"

“Being a photographer is one of the hardest things I could have imagined. There are moments when things fall into place, people love your work, jobs flow in and the pictures take themselves. Then times when you are poor, you stop liking your own work and getting a shot takes forever.”

Australian photographer and founder of the swimwear brand BowerRupert Tapperspeaks out honest words when it comes to his profession, and also about moments in his life that have influenced and led him onto his chosen path. His current long-term stop over London is only one of many places that he had visited or lived in, as he loves getting inspired by the new. Well, we absolutely love browsing through his images that are vigorous and addictive and suddenly feel like floating on an emeraldgreen shore.

Some years ago in an interview you described yourself as fun, curious and confused. Have you changed in the meantime or is that still how would state your personality? And if so, what are you most confused about?
I think that has changed a little. I am probably a lot more serious now but keep reminding myself to have fun and enjoy what I do whilst trying to push myself. Being a creative is a very hard thing as I feel you critique yourself much more than anyone else. I think I will always be confused to some degree. If we had all the answers that would be no fun now would it.
You like to create cinematic stories. Do you have a clear vision of your story in mind already before shooting or just a rough idea and more details emerge later on during the process?
I try to imagine the whole story and also pull references however most of the time on the day the story changes and I just do what feels and looks right. I should probably just loosen the brief on myself as it can be frustrating when you aren’t getting what you had envisioned.
It took you some time to have the courage to pursue your dream of being a photographer. “One day I had an epiphany spurred on by a personal event and I sold my car and moved from Sydney to Paris to begin the journey.” Can you tell us what this personal event was or is it something too personal?
Well basically I met a nice Swedish girl when I was living abroad whom was becoming a photographer herself, I spent some time with her a few months later and she had a really nice way of looking at things. I was going to go and live with her and just take pictures. Not long after my visit she took her own life out of the blue and It rang a bell in my head. I had to just do it, I knew.
Have your expectations of a photographer´s life been fulfilled? Was it even harder than you expected?
Being a photographer is one of the hardest things I could have imagined. There are moments when things fall into place, people love your work, jobs flow in and the pictures take themselves. Then times when you are poor, you stop liking your own work and getting a shot takes forever. You have to have the motivation to push through and remember why you are doing it, take a fresh angle and be happy you are not sitting behind a desk.
You are based in London now. How do you like it and what happened with Paris?
London is good for now. I tend to move around a lot. Have spent time in NYC, Berlin and a few other places. I like to keep myself inspired with new people and places and love discovering new things. Paris had a purpose ( learn how to take pictures and light shots ) I think London is a lot more open and in a state of constant flux.
What do you miss most about Australia? I guess the seaside, right? As you also started you own swimwear label where you draw on a childhood lived by the waters of Sydney´s fairy bower…
Yes Australia is a beautiful place. So many beaches and so much sunshine, beautiful people and so on, its also super laid back. This was a big adjustment. I have found some amazing coastal spots in Europe however to quench my thirst for the ocean.
Your most happy moment in 2014?
Hard to pin point really but starting Bower, shooting for L’Officiel and Morrocco where some nice highlights.
Your best life lesson in 2014?
Be up front about everything and put it in writing!
www.ruperttapper.info
www.instagram.com/RUPERTTAPPER
/www.shop.bowerswimwear.com


BOWERSS15_08_130-1-608x870

Bowerswim-resort_10_198-1200x870

Florrie_caroline_09-650x870

handstand-650x870

MAIN-PAGE-DPS-Recovered-1200x870

Ollie_03-1200x870

R01

R02


Rupert-Tapper-Sid_04-1200x870

No comments:

Post a Comment