Thursday, March 3, 2016

Who is CHARLIE AUSTIN

*Warning: PIRATE RADIO presentation*

My mum is the one who pushed me to do everything, supports me and wants me to do everything for myself.

Meet Charlie Austin, a Brisbane native now modeling all over the world. She has modeled mostly in Milan and New York. Charlie can be seen in Great Gatsy and being a contestant in Australian Next Top Model. Now let her stunning eyes  and personality lure you in!

Interview, styling and Photography by Lauren Engel

Tell us about upbringingI am from Brisbane, Australia. Growing up in Australia is good in general. There’s a lot of freedom, beaches and parks compared to America. Everyone is just really laid back and chill. They’re also really nice and happy. I grew up with my brother, sister and mom.  I was a bit of a wild child growing up; I was often in some trouble with my mom. I was pretty much running around backyards, all the kids would go swimming in the pools and just be idiots. There were no iPhones back then! I did a lot of volley ball and rugby. When I hit 17, I decided to screw it (laughs) no exercise, no sports. I was expelled in Grade 11 and after that I got into modelling and moved overseas.
Do you feel homesick, traveling all the time?
Yes, for the Australian lifestyle, my family, and food.
Tell us about your modeling career
My mom encouraged me do it. When I was a kid she used to put me in modeling competitions. I was also a dancer for 15 years. I did ballet, jazz and tap dance. I hated it though. I am a huge tomboy but my mom always wanted me to be a pretty little girl so she put me into modeling. When I was 17 she took me to an agency and I thought, why not? I modelled for two years in Brisbane then when I was 19 I went to Milan. I only did Sydney Fashion Week but didn’t really stayed and work there; Brisbane was the only place I modelled in before I went overseas. After Milan I modeled in Germany. For me, living overseas is now just long big blur, I got used to the lifestyle.
What type of modeling jobs do you usually do?
I normally do catalogues and lookbooks. I get campaigns here and there. (Milan and Germany) is nowhere as good as New York and I have already been here for 4 months.
Do you wish you were older when we started modeling overseas?
Well I was ‘old’. Normally there are these 16 year old girls from Russia! It’s being alone, thrown in a model house, living with all these girl, being in a foreign city where you don’t know where anything is, and you don’t speak the language that is difficult. But, at the same time, it’s so different from living at home. Everywhere you meet really interesting people.

 IMG_9811

“Growing up in Australia is good in general. There’s a lot of freedom, beaches and parks and everyone’s just really laid back and chill.”


Looking back do you wish you started modeling at a younger age?
I’m happy I started at 19. I wasn’t swept up in it all. For example, if you’re in Milan and you go to a casting there are promoters chasing you down the street trying to get you drunk in a club with them. If I have a kid who wanted to model, I won´t send them overseas until they’re 20.
Is it different modeling overseas to Australia?
Definitely, I did three and a half years in Milan so I did get used to it. The only bad thing was language. I hated Milan for first 2 years then I started to learn Italian and it was easier for me to enjoy myself. I learnt Italian on the shoots because no one spoke english. It’s rare for photographers in Italy to speak good english.
Do you have any goals for modeling?
I might be going to Barcelona – I just signed with an agency there. I’m probably going back to Milan for a bit but I would like to do Paris. Paris is my favourite city but I’ve never modelled there. I’ve been there a few times for fun. I also wouldn’t mind doing a few months in LA and Miami.
What are the meanings behind ur tattoos?
(Laughs) This one “Idi” is my mother and grandmother’s last name. I have forgive, because I went through a really bad period, I was very angry at the world, I couldn’t keep it in anymore so I forgave everyone and forgave myself and came to peace with everything. This one (points) is just a stupid one that i got- a spur of the moment thing. And the one on the back is from my ex-bf, yay!
Would you have done anything else other than modeling?
I want to be a vet and do anything with animals. When I go back to Australia I want to start an animal rescue place.
Do you think you will study veterinary science?
Well I was trying to study while modeling but I am super lazy so I’ll just wait until I go back to Australia. I recon I have 2 years left for modeling then I will go home.
Do you have a mentor throughout your life and modeling career?
Probably just my mom (laughs)
Did she have experience in modeling?
She wanted to be a model but she was told she was too skinny.
(Laughs) Is it even a thing?
Well, that was her excuse! But she’s the one who pushed me to do everything, supports me and wants me to do everything for myself.

IMG_0057
IMG_0070
IMG_0106
IMG_0153
IMG_0169
Made By Dawn
IMG_0258
IMG_0289
IMG_0301
IMG_0417
Sweet Cheeks Designs
IMG_0464
IMG_0472
IMG_0485
IMG_0486
IMG_0510
IMG_0551
IMG_0585
IMG_0607
Kayser Lingerie
IMG_9807
IMG_9849
IMG_9852
IMG_9853
IMG_9857
IMG_9908
Lezard Swim
IMG_0004
IMG_9956
IMG_0013
IMG_9984
Made By Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment