Tuesday, May 19, 2015

LALEH: the Swedish Lorde

*THE SYNDICATE DOES NOT EXIST*


Laleh released her Boom EP [Island Records] in the fall of 2014. The Swedish songstress managed to tap into the most gorgeous and colorful pop mysticism this side of Florence + the Machine. Her vulnerable vocalization brings vivid lyrics to life on songs like the entrancing single "Colors," adding a sixties psychedelic sheen to ageless melodies. You'll want to escape to her world forever after one listen. She told us all about Boom, magic, and more in this exclusive interview.

There's a lot going on in your songs. How would you describe your approach?

Since I produce, I'm usually alone in the studio. I have a very independent way of working, but I love to have this broad communication. I really believe we all have these feelings and we think about them more or less, but we're not reminded of them. Everything in pop culture is based on distraction from what's really important as are most of the things we do on a daily basis. When I'm creating though, things just happen automatically. I want to separate myself from the distraction. I just go in there and get out of there like, "What just happened?" The only vision I have is for each song. When I come up with a song, I have a specific vision for that individual song, and I execute it. I don't really consider the other songs or myself. I don't limit the songs to anything. They become whatever they want. I'm considering what's best for the song. The fun part is having a vision for a specific song and making sure that happens.

Is it important for you to paint pictures with the songs? They are very colorful.

Thank you! You're right. Sometimes, I have the backing vocals answering to me or telling me something. Some songs are almost like a dialogue between the choir and me. In "Colors," it's the choir that's telling me, "Just because it's black in the dark doesn't mean there's no color." You could say I'm definitely painting a picture.

What's "Colors" about for you?

In the verses, I'm saying I have a talk with the shadows fighting for me. That's something we all go through. We have this darkness and this light within us, at least I do. We have both good and bad in us, and we try to have a discussion between those two and find ourselves in all of this. It's really about that. I'm having this talk with the shadow and the light fighting for me. The backing vocals, which are also me, tell me everything's not black and white, and there are colors to everything. Just because we're in a situation where we can't see the outcome or purpose, we never know. There's a lot we don't know about. So, we should try to enjoy every moment. It's hard to describe. That's why I write songs!



What's the story behind "Stars Align?"

It's literally asking the purpose with all of this, but at the same time, wanting to be a part of the world while still having problems with it. I'm not sure anybody really feels that we belong here because we do things weirdly in this world. It's terrible and beautiful all at the same time. You still want to be a part of it, but you still can't really grasp it. The second verse is about feeling more or less. Still, you have a love for it, and you want the stars to align and everything to be good for you. I'm asking, "Will my stars align? Will I ever find that harmony or peace?" That's mainly I'm looking for in life.

What inspires you outside of music?

I'm really into movies and art. I just moved to Los Angeles six or seven months ago. Experiencing your culture here and the way everything works is really inspiring. I think everybody has a surprise element to them. I'm very interested in that. Nature inspires me. There's a lot of mystery there. Albert Einstein says there's an element of magic we don't know about. I'm inspired by that element of magic I can't explain. I'm really into movies like Spirited Away. It's a philosophical manga movie. I'd also recommend The Grave of the Fireflies. I just saw Birdman, and it was amazing. I love movies that give you a new aspect of life.

Who are you listening to?

There are a lot of good bands. I'm stuck in the sixties and the seventies though [Laughs]. I'm trying to get out. For me, my inspirational compass where I keep my focus on what I'm writing and what I try to do with my lyrics and music is about Cat Stevens and Kate Bush.

Rick Florino
05.02.15



No comments:

Post a Comment