Tuesday, October 11, 2016

YJY - 'Past My Prime'

*VIVID RADIO is on the air*
YJY

There's an old aphorism which holds that your school years are the best days of your life.
Now, the truth of that statement is up for grabs, but one thing is for sure - it's a sentiment that seems to recur with extreme regularity.
Image result for YJY - 'Past My Prime'
So, New Jersey fuzz pop merchants YJY decided to tackle this head on. New cut 'Past My Prime' is a neat look at this sentiment, picking apart the past in order to locate fresh paths into the future.
Laden with fuzz, it also recalls The Cure's imperial pop phase - Steve Sachs (lead vox, guitar):
"At the time Past My Prime was written, I had very recently gone to see my friend's band, Con Leche, and I was really blown away by what they were doing. Musically, 'Past My Prime' was kind of a conscious attempt at doing something in their style. The lyrics were actually written in the shower. I was thinking about something I'd heard about a kid I went to high school with. Someone told me he cried at the end of senior year because in, his words "I already know these were the best years of my life".
Image result for YJY - 'Past My Prime'
"I was just making myself laugh by coming up with little couplets and suddenly I realized I had both verses finished. I rushed out of the shower, grabbed the guitar and finished the song. When it came time to make a video for Past My Prime, we enlisted the help of our long time friend, and Face Off Season 10 semi-finalist, Mel Licata. Mel is a fantastic make up artist, and we knew she would be able to help us accomplish what we saw in our heads when we conceptualized the video. We're really grateful for her hard work, and we're very proud of how the video turned out."
Check it out now.
YJY have a new EP, named 'The Same Noise' - it's pretty great, and you can order it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment